Madagascar North Adventure
From: $ 1,235.00 per person
Madagascar – 8 days: Our Madagascar North Adventure vacation offers you a fantastic nature-filled Madagascar vacation option. Explore the Northern part of Madagascar, including national parks with lemurs, reserves with endemic animals and beaches with perfect sand.
Private lodge tour, experience Madagascar’s varied habitats durng this journey which takes you from the waterfalls and lakes of Montagne d’Ambre National Park before enjoying the tropical beaches of Nosy Be. Starting and ending in Antananarivo – 8 Days
- Antananarivo – the picturesque capital of Madagascar.
- Montagne d’Ambre National Park – prominent volcanic massif and striking scenery, rainforest and waterfalls
- Ankarana – a nature reserve with karst pinnacles, sacred caves, underground rivers and beautiful scenery
- Nosy Be – commonly known as “the island of perfumes” and the largest of Madagascar’s offshore islands
Classic accommodation will be in basic – mid range Hotels.
Superior accommodation will be in 4* hotels and applies only to Nosy Be, Ankarana and Antananarivo (no opportunities exist for upgrade at Montagne d’Ambre).
Please note that Madagascar is a country which is in its infancy when it comes to tourism. Accommodation is limited so all the above mentioned accommodation are subject to availability, and we reserve the right to change these using similar accommodation of the same standards.
Group size: Minimum 1, Maximum 10
Spending Money: Clients are advised to bring enough money to cover their lunches and dinners, the purchase of curios and additional entertainment. Madagascar’s currency is the Ariary. Euros are the most practical and convenient currency to exchange into the local currency at Antananarivo Airport. There are automatic teller machines (ATM’s) available in the bigger towns like Tana, Fianarantsoa and Tulear. International credit cards and travellers cheques are very seldomly accepted, and Visa is the only option accepted, where available.
Car 2 – 3 people
Minivan 4 – 8 people
Bus 10 + people
Meal: Please advise us of any special dietary requirements in advance.
First Aid: Our guides are trained in basic first aid and the vehicle is equipped with a medical aid kit. Preventative Malaria medication should be taken before the trip and throughout its duration, although it is advisable to consult a doctor prior to departure
- Track suit
- Walking shoes
- Light trousers/jeans
- Swimming costume
- Sun hat / sunglasses
- Warm clothes
- Long-sleeved shirts
- Torch & spare batteries
- UV protection
- Mosquito protection
Luggage: Maximum baggage allowance on the plane will be 20 kg. Please bring a backpack or soft barrel bag, not a suitcase. Don’t bring too much clothing, as there are washing opportunities along the way. Please adhere to the allowance specified as space for luggage is limited.
Visas: A visa is required to enter the territory of Madagascar and can easily be obtained upon arrival at the airport of Antananarivo with a validity of up to 90 days. Tourists staying for less than one month, can purchase a visa for 80’000 Ariary (around 23-27 €). Paying with the exact amounts or small currency is advised. No photographs are required, however please ensure that passports are valid for at least 6 months after return date. In addition to the entry visa, the Malagasy government is proposing the introduction of a frontier levy of 10 € in the near future, still to be confirmed and variable at short notice.
Gratuities: If you feel you have been looked after well by your crew or guides, and you wish to show your appreciation for their services, a monetary tip is very welcomed by those in Madagascar. Here follows some suggested guidelines:
- Around EUR 4 per person, per day (10,000 Ariary) for a guide or a guide/driver.
- Around EUR 2 (5,000 Ariary) for a park guide, depending on your satisfaction.
- Around 5% of the bill at a restaurant
- 200 Ariary per bag for a porter.
- As Euro coins cannot be changed into local money in Madagascar, it is advisable to tip in Ariary.
We would ask that you please reserve your generosity for tipping for services only, and not providing free hand-outs to children or adults, as this encourages begging.
- Accommodation is based on a bed & breakfast at all hotels, (Days 2-5 include lunch)
- All transfers and transport mentioned in the program
- An English-speaking guide from Diego Suarez airport to Ankify (Day 2-6)
- Specialist guides in the parks and reserves as per program
- All park and reserve entrance fees
- All excursions mentioned
- International and domestic flights
- Airport taxes
- All excursions not mentioned in the program
- Bottled water, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages
- Visas and travel insurance
- All dinners
- Personal items
- Excursions in Nosy Be
- (Flights from/to Johannesburg can be arranged by Jenman African Safaris)