Barefoot Luxury Southern Explorer (11 Days)
From: $ 3,775.00 per person
Madagascar – 11 days: Explore beautiful southeastern Madagascar in luxury where you'll be greeted by the various species of Lemur and the exotic rain forest. With activities such as canoeing in the mangroves, early morning boat trips for wetland birding, day and night walks in the forest and fishing, you're guaranteed a great time and a fun, memorable trip.
Private Barefoot Luxury tour to the Southeast of Madagascar. Starting and ending in Antananarivo, Madagascar – 11 Days
- Mandrare River,
- Wildlife viewing,
- Bird watching
- Spiny forest
- Sacred Forests and tombs of Ifotaka
- Day and night guided walks
- Baobab forests
- Authentic tribal displays
- Local village and market
- Beach at Manafiafy
- Walks in the rainforest
- Exploring deserted beaches
- Whale viewing (June – December)
- Canoeing in the mangroves
The accommodation on this tour has been selected for its barefoot luxury offering, quite unique to Madagascar. Accommodation is situated near to or inside National Parks, on the banks of a river, or in other places of interest. The accommodation will be a mix of lodges, chalets and tented camps. Most properties are equipped with swimming pools, restaurants and bar areas.
Group size: Minimum 1 person, Maximum 10 people
Vehicle: In Antananarivo we use an air-conditioned vehicle, and for the rest of the tour, we use 4×4 vehicles.
Spending money: Clients are advised to bring enough money for any additional drinks or activities not included in the itinerary. Madagascar’s currency is the Ariary. Euros are the most practical and convenient currency to exchange into Ariary at the Airport. International credit cards and travellers cheques are very seldom accepted.
First Aid: Our guides are trained in basic first aid and the camps are equipped with a medical aid kit. Preventative Malaria medication should be taken before the trip and throughout its duration, although it is advisable to consult a doctor prior to departure.
Luggage: Maximum baggage allowance on the plane will be 20 kg. Please bring a backpack or soft barrel bag, not a suitcase. Don’t bring too much clothing, as there are washing opportunities along the way. Please adhere to the allowance specified as space for luggage is limited.
Travel insurance: It is compulsory for all travellers to have insurance covering their personal requirements, medical expenses (including emergency medical evacuation cover) and personal possessions. This is to be arranged before leaving your home country. Jenman Safaris has comprehensive public liability insurance. For an instant quote on travel insurance, please click the following link to our website: http://www.jenmansafaris.com/travel-info/travel-insurance.html
- Track suit
- Solid Walking shoes
- Lightweight trousers/jeans
- Swimming costume
- Sun hat
- Warm clothes
- Long-sleeved shirts
- Torch & spare batteries
- Water bottle
- UV protection
- Mosquito protection
- Snorkelling equipment is provided at Manafiafy, but you may bring your own if you wish.
Visas: A visa is required to enter the territory of Madagascar and can easily be obtained upon arrival at the airport of Antananarivo with a validity of up to 90 days. Tourists staying for less than one month, can purchase a visa for 80’000 Ariary (around 23-27 €). Paying with the exact amounts or small currency is advised. No photographs are required, however please ensure that passports are valid for at least 6 months after return date. In addition to the entry visa, the Malagasy government is proposing the introduction of a frontier levy of 10 € in the near future, still to be confirmed and variable at short notice.
Gratuities: If you feel you have been looked after well by your crew or guides, and you wish to show your appreciation for their services, a monetary tip is very welcomed by those in Madagascar. Here follows some suggested guidelines:
- Around EUR 4 per person, per day (10,000 Ariary) for a guide or a guide/driver.
- Around EUR 2 (5,000 Ariary) for a park guide, depending on your satisfaction.
- Around 5% of the bill at a restaurant
- 200 Ariary per bag for a porter.
- As Euro coins cannot be changed into local money in Madagascar, it is advisable to tip in Ariary.
We would ask that you please reserve your generosity for tipping for services only, and not providing free hand-outs to children or adults, as this encourages begging.
- Meals as mentioned in itinerary
- Accommodation as per itinerary
- All transport
- Experienced professional Malagasy guide
- All excursions
- Park fees and community/environmental levies
- International and domestic flights and their taxes
- Any excursions not mentioned in the program
- All wine and spirits at Manafiafy Lodge
- Visas and travel insurance
- Personal expenses and souvenirs
- (Please note it may be advisable to book your domestic flights along with your
- international flights for potential cost saving).
Please note: If you require a specific language speaking guide to accompany you on
your entire tour, please request this at time of enquiry. This carries an additional cost.